Within 10 years of picking up a tennis racket for the first time, Wilmer Allison was ranked among the world's best players. He joined the University of Texas tennis squad in 1925 as the last man on the team. By his sophomore year, he was Southwest Conference singles champion and the national collegiate singles champion. He later teamed with John Van Ryn and twice won the doubles title at Wimbledon and was singles runner-up in 1930. He was also a member of the Davis Cup team from 1928 to 1937. In 1935, Allison won the U.S. national singles title. Allison succeeded Dr. D.A. Penick as tennis coach at the University of Texas in 1957 and served 16 seasons, developing SWC team champions four times and runners-up on four other occasions. In honor of Allison, the "Penick Courts" at the University of Texas were renamed the "Penick-Allison Courts" in 1977. He was inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame in 1957.